January 28, 2014

Sweet Potato Pear Juice


I've been juicing everyday this year.  Carrot apple juice and the "Mean Green" are two of my favorite juices (I'm a sucker for the vibrant color juices), and my fruit and veggie drawers are usually stocked with ingredients for those juices.  Well, since I've been juicing daily, I ran out a little quicker than planned and just started juicing what I had left: some sweet potatoes in my veggie drawer and some ripe pears sitting on the counter.   

Sweet potatoes and pears are an odd combination, but they work well together.  It's a good amount of sweetness, and the pear almost makes it a little creamy.  Drinking straight up vegetable juice is harder for me, so having some sweetness in juice helps me drink without gagging.  (Besides, drinking something that makes you gag probably isn't good for you in principle, even if the gagworthy stuff contains nutrients.)   When I juice, I always throw in a juicy piece of fruit to help mellow the vegetable flavors.  

I didn't think that the sweet potato would produce much juice since potatoes are more dry and starchy.  WRONG!  The sweet potatoes were juicer than expected, so I ended up using only one pear after I saw how much juice came out.  Since potato skins have some good nutrients in them, I left the skin while juicing.  It is much easier to juice sweet potatoes than it is to cut them up for sweet potato fries. :)  My Breville juicer had no problem juicing that tater.  

Juice on!

Sweet Potato Pear Juice
Yields 12 oz. juice

Ingredients:
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
1 pear

Directions:
Juice ingredients in order listed.  Serve immediately, and enjoy

Source: A Simply Sweet Justice Original

9 comments:

  1. I would never have put those together but I'm going to. I stick with my tried and true beet, apple, ginger and carrot juice. Sometimes spinach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never juiced beets--I'll have to give that a try!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful color. I haven't started juicing yet but if I ever do I might start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier for me to start with sweeter juices than straight vegetable juices. I like juices like this because it's a good combo of veggies and fruits that is easy to drink.

      Delete
  3. A refreshing and flavoursome drink, great recipe :D
    Bookmarked!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Combo! I never would have thought that sweet potatoes could make a good juice. I could use this refreshing drink today- temperature is 100 F here today in Adelaide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't believe it's so warm in Adelaide, but truth be told, those summer temps sound better than the cold winter temperatures right now. :)

      Delete
  5. This is just way too healthy for me! ha. It looks beautiful and yes, I should be doing the same thing and drinking these healthy juices. I actually paused and looked at them today at Whole Foods as I was picking up Short Ribs for chili. :) Go Broncos.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily