January 7, 2013

Brussels Sprouts Salad with Prosciutto and Parmigiano-Reggiano


Happy New Year!  I hope everyone is enjoying the start of the new year!

With the start of the new year, many of us are likely trying to incorporate lighter fare into our diets.  I love salads, but a salad everyday can get boring to me.  Incorporating different greens, such as Romaine, kale, spinach, and spring greens, is a great way to keep a salad interesting.  My new favorite salad green?  Brussels sprouts!

This recipe is a little labor intensive on the hands because it involves peeling the leaves on the Brussels sprouts.  It is worth it!  Because Brussels sprouts leaves are smaller and lighter, I didn't want to weigh them down by adding a heavier protein (e.g., chicken, fish, etc.) to this salad.  Since prosciutto is so thin and light, I added that to the salad for protein.  I tossed in some toasted pine nuts to add some crunch.  And. since to keep with the Italian theme, I sprinkled some Parmigiano-Reggiano over the salad.  I used a Caesar dressing on this salad, mainly because Caesar is my favorite type of dressing.  :)

I made this salad for a week night dinner with a friend, and my anti-Brussels sprouts friend turned into a Brussels sprouts fan!

Be on the watch for a great Caesar dressing post coming this week!

Brussels Sprouts Salad with Proscuitto and Parmigiano-Reggiano
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts
1/3 cup pine nuts*
2 oz. prosciutto slices, torn
1/8 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded
Salad dressing, as desired

Directions:
Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts, and then begin peeling the leaves.  Bring  6 cups of water to a boil.  Place the peeled Brussels sprouts in the water for about 10-30 seconds.  Quickly drain the hot water and immediately pour cold water to stop cooking.  Drain well, and place on paper towels to dry.  

In a large salad bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, pine nuts, proscuitto, parmesan reggiano, and the salad dressing.  Toss to combine, and serve immediately.


*To bring out the flavor in the pine nuts, lightly toast them in a 350ºF oven for a few minutes.


Source: A Simply Sweet Justice Original

3 comments:

  1. I love baked bussel sprouts! And usually do them with bacon! It's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make a salad like this years ago - before you were born and haven't made it since then. I can't wait to give it a try. John doesn't like pine nuts and I love them so this will be MY dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brussels sprouts and love them even more jazzed up like this...has everything in one bite! =)

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily